Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Why I love Utah
Here's my long story: Chris and I moved to Maryland for a couple of years, back in 1999. Maryland is gorgeous, huge tall trees everywhere, and during the fall, dang man, the trees were absolutely incredible. However, being a desert girl who loves the wide open spaces, and the never-ending blue skies, I felt a bit claustrophobic. While on the long road back home to Utah in 2001, when we came up to the Rockies on I-70, I lost it. I never realized how much I need and am completely and utterly attached to the safety of my mountains. I love the security that being surrounded by huge towering mountains on all sides of the valley provides.

So I started a tradition this last spring, every Sunday morning-as long as weather permits, I either roller-blade up the canyon, or find a new place to hike and discover. Well, Carson is going through a really difficult time right now. He's extremely angry at the smallest things, and can't quite figure out all of his emotions that are going on inside him. We tried to get to the heart of the problem, and he just broke down. He really misses Grandma and Grandpa, specifically Grandma's laugh. I think the fact that they couldn't attend his baptism hit him quite hard. Since the older Carson becomes, the more I realize he is so much like me, I felt like he was due for some one-on-one therapy time. We took this wonderful hike just honestly minutes above my house to Battle Creek Falls. My neighbor's been trying to get me up there for months, but it didn't seem to ever have water when I tried. We were absolutely amazed, around every corner there was so much to discover-absolutely and completely gorgeous! I think the therapy worked (for at least a day-because Carson was so happy all Sunday).

I think the most ironic thing about the whole hike, is that we just went to Steamboat Springs Colorado, and they bragged about this gorgeous hike up to these falls. They were beautiful alright, but these falls at Battle Creek were just as beautiful and literally took just 60 minutes to drive there, make the hike, and return back home.




My sad attempt at some fall foliage pictures down at the base of the falls in Kiwanis Park. It's been so great discovering all the great things Pleasant Grove has to offer. I remember always making fun of people who attended PGHS and what hicks they were. I've decided they just knew how to keep a great secret. Once again, I love where I live.







2 comments:

leadatortilla said...

Great post Cherae - I love the pics and I'm excited to try that hike. I also loved the pics of the boys - soooo handsome.

Anonymous said...

i HATE utah!!
but your genitals are the best!