Wednesday, September 08, 2010

June, July, August-3 reasons to be a teacher

I realize how horrible I am at taking pictures, because we had such a fun summer this year, and I have no pictures to show for it.

Most of June we just chilled out at home. Chris's mother and step-father came for a fabulous visit-but once again, no pics of that. It was great having Dave here for a change, he loves the outdoors. I took him on a quick (I mean that literally-we were up and back in 27 minutes) hike up to Battle Creek Falls, and then spent a lovely evening roasting marshmallows and hot dogs up American Fork Canyon. Wendy was able to stay for
a few extra days longer than Dave, and my kids really love having her around. She's just so dang cute with the boys.

At the end of June Chris and I took a short trip to Cancun, well actually Playa Del Carmen- just a bit south of Cancun. Last March when I was feeling a bit bummed about my life teaching 7th graders, my husband kindly asked if I needed something to look forward to; so he booked an all-inclusive resort in Cancun for 5 days. The resort was great and HUGE, but all the reviews raved about how great the food was. Let me just say, that I think I came back a few pounds lighter at the end of my trip. Which considering I had the option to eat 24/7, gives you a small idea about the quality of food. I think the owners of the Sunset Princess Resort are too focused on making their resort feel American, and forgot to stick to what they are best at. From the lovely picture above, you can see what the humidity does for my hair and make-up. How sad, that picture is one of my best from the trip. (Oh the joys of being in your late thirties-all the days in the sun you spent as a child come back to haunt you, and everything you put in your mouth adds 10 pounds to your thighs).

The first day of our short 5 day trip was spent indoors listening to a damn (pardon my french-but hey if you are reading this, you must know how well and how often I speak that language) timeshare presentation. But it turned out ok because we arrived in the middle of a tropical storm, so we couldn't really go outside much anyway.

Along the HUGE and mile long path back to our room were all these great statues that I think were supposed to be Mayan but we couldn't figure it out-so like typical ignorant Americans, we decided to make fun of them.


Since we listened to the three hour long presentation, we received 4 different excursions. Here's us swimming with the Dolphins. Of course, you can't walk out of there without spending at least $100 on the lame photos they take of you with the dolphins. I mean seriously, couldn't they have taken at least one picture with both of us together? Who wants a CD full of photos with you alone with a dolphin? Apparently I do, because I bought the dumb things.

After Cancun, we were home for about two days and then took a trip down to Long Beach for Connor's national futsol tournament. Once again, no pictures. We love being with his team members and their families. They are our second family. They all played so well, but when it came to the semi-final game they played this Mexican alliance team who has won the tournament for the past several years. These kids were so mean to our team, I guess it's time we start playing rough because they would purposely foul us 5 times each half knowing that they had to use as a buffer. They were mean fouls, and their parents were awfully rude as well. I thought Cameron Pennock's mother was going to get in a brawl with one of their parents before the game started-WHEW! Needless to say we lost to the team, and didn't win the tournament. But they played hard and we really did have a great time together. Until I locked my keys in the trunk of my car at seriously the nastiest beach I've ever seen in California-but that's just a whole other story.

We got home from Long Beach just in time to pack up and meet my brothers and sister in Wolf Creek, up Ogden Canyon. I got my camera out for that trip.


I love Wolf Creek, and would love to own some property up there. During the summer time it reminds me of Kauai, without the beach of course. It so green, with a small valley surrounded with mountains. It was great being with Shayne, Shaughn, and Chanin's family. We always love spending a day or two on the boat with Steve and Chanin. I think my highlight of the trip was finding this cute little boutique where I bought James Breaking Dawn. He read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn in three days.

You'd probably think that Cancun was my highlight for the summer, but you're wrong. The first week in August my parents came home from their mission. It was soooo great getting a huge hug from my Mom and Dad again. I REALLY missed them, I know most missions go by fast. It seemed like they were gone for centuries.


I had to share these two pictures of my darling nephew Danny, and my son and I at the Carrie Underwood concert for Stadium of Fire. I don't listen to country music, but didn't realize just how country I was until I took inventory of all my cowboy hats, cowboy boots, and indian jewelry I have. I might not like to listen to them, but I sure have fun dressing like 'em.


3 comments:

leadatortilla said...

That was a great recap of the summer! I love the pics with the dolphins - I think that timeshare presentation must have been worth it for 4 excursions - looks like they rocked! Love the pic of danny too - super cute! HOpe to be hanging out with you guys soon now that we're all getting back to our groove with school.

The Pierce Family said...

Loved reading your post. You made me laugh, and I love it that because I know you so well, I can hear how you would be saying the things you are writing, and I hear your voice come through loud and clear. I thought you looked great in the photos--you guys looked like you had so much fun. Your kids and husband are so adorable too. We sure miss you guys. I am thrilled you had such an eventful summer--you always do.

The Pierce Family said...

P.S. I almost forgot--give your parents a giant hug from me!