Monday, August 18, 2008



A Perfect Ending to a Perfect Summer
Sparta Cup August 2008

Chris is coach to Connor's X-league, a U9 team that played one year under (or for the lame people like myself that means under 10, X-league was under 9). This team is so much fun to watch. They played in the annual Sparta Cup in Holladay. Although the weather was quite warm. It was such a fun tournament. My family all cheered Connor and Coach Chris on the sidelines. I loved hanging out with the Jolley families. Our team was lucky enough to be well coached with Coach Chris, Coach Brian, and Coach Greg because they each have sons on the team.

Here's the play by play:
This was the first year our team played together. They started off the tournament disheartened after losing 8-2 to a superior U10 team in size and strength. Instead of giving up, the team gelled together and showed tremendous heart for a little group of 8 year old boys. They went on to win their next 3 games; 3-1, 4-0, and 1-0 to advance into the final against that same winning team. Playing in over 100 degree heat with only one sub, they had to play the final game only 1 1/2 hours after the semi-final. Depleted in energy, our team was down 4-1 in the second half. The Rangers rallied to pull it to 4-3, but time ran out just before we managed to tie it up. Connor played his best as forward for the first time, scoring 2 of the 3 goals. He usually plays mid-field. This was my first taste of truly compelling soccer to the point where my husband asked, "Were you cheering?" And I replied, "I was nervous the entire game, all I did was pace around the sidelines."

The awful feeling of the loss was soon forgotten when the team hoisted up the runner's up silver cup together in unison during the awards ceremony. Each player also received a silver medal. This was Connor's first ever trophy playing a sport. The token medal given to each player in the city leagues just doesn't quite cut it for me.

I was so proud of my son. This is the first of many many tournaments to come. It was a great ending to a great summer...



9 comments:

mindy said...

How fun! thanks for sharing! :)

cheraeecalono said...

Do you have a blog Mindy? If so what is it?

leadatortilla said...

I love this post Cherae! Great pictures of your boys (Connor & Chris)!! I really enjoyed reading the details about the competition... I only knew it was a competition!

leadatortilla said...

I love this post Cherae! Great pictures of your boys (Connor & Chris)!! I really enjoyed reading the details about the competition... I only knew it was a competition!

Anonymous said...

Oh soccer. I remember the days I was dragged to all of my brother's soccer games. I thought they were fun for the first couple minutes and then, I was bored. But I loved seeing your pics, they take me way back and remind me of those times. I guess I should have cheered more, it looks like a lot of fun. I am sure I'll have to ask you all of the fun stuff soon enough if our boy likes soccer someday. :)

Cheryl said...

an excellent memory for you and the boys and grandma!!!

Heidi said...

Hey Chica! It was so fun to hang out with you guys at Neil the other night! Here's my blog, call me to work out one of these days!

cheraeecalono said...

I haven't had that much fun in a long time. I'll update my blog here real soon and send you some of my pics. But I must admit I can't figure out what your blog is from mine. I know, I'm totally retarded. email me at cheraeecalono@yahoo.com I've decided that my new years resolution is to be as ripped as Wonder Woman on my sons DC verses Mortal Kombat XBox 360 game. Do you think that they will mind if I bring in the Xbox to the gym for some inspiration?

Anonymous said...

The Flick'r' pics you sent me of Connor's first piano recital are the exact types of posts you should put on this blog!!! I am about to boycott this BLOG!!!:-)