Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's Good to be a Teacher...

Chris and I have fully taken advantage of having our summers off together. We had the wonderful opportunity to go on a Western Carribean Cruise with his parents, Wendy and Dave. We had a great time together, and really enjoyed every minute. It was a perfect way to spend our anniversary this July. We sailed on the Carnival Legend cruise out of Tampa Bay to four beautiful ports; Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Rhoatan, Honduras. This was my first cruise and experience with the crystal clear carribean water. We are especially grateful to Wendy and Dave who helped make it possible for us to go by paying Chris's ticket. We also must thank my family for watching our kids for 9 days while we cruised. Thank you, Thank you.

Chris and I have never been known for our good luck. But our luck started to change on the boat, our first night there I won the Bingo jackpot for 600 bucks. Too bad I didn't win it our last night because I might have been able to bring some of it back home. My new lucky number is 65!
Just to keep things short, here's the highlights; my top five cruise faves:
1) Hanging out with Wendy and Dave-despite the fact that Dave and Chris kicked our royal butts at Canasta every night!!!
2) Grand Cayman water-gorgeous
3)Snuba in Grand Cayman-I'm hooked and ready for snuba lessons-that's an amazing world down there!
4)Xunantunich Mayan ruins in Belize-I've never been one who's cared too much for archeology, but they are pretty darn impressive
5)Rhoatan was fantastic. I could live on that island. The Hondurans were so humble and thoroughly enjoyed their sweet simple lives. The beach was gorgeous, I felt like I was walking where Jack Sparrow once walked. I had my first successful snorkeling experience in those waters, although I definitely prefer scuba diving, I did see some great sea life. Honduran dancers that loved having their pictures taken

Chris's favorite-playing blackjack on the face-up table. For the first time in his not so distinguished gambling career-he was up $150 bucks!

Not to dwell on the negative, but a couple of things I could go without on a cruise:
1) Why does it seem that 95% of all cruisers are at-least 50 pounds overweight? Am I just noticing it because the obese americans rarely had their clothes on (they had swimsuits on, in case your mind wandered a bit)? A sight that I really could have done without.
2) For someone who likes to dress up maybe twice a year, dressing up every night did start to get a bit old. I definitely brought the wrong shoes, no one warned me that high heels were a cruise requirement.

We had a wonderful time, and I would much rather be on the boat watching the gorgeous clear water outside on my balcony, then be laying on my bed, updating my blog.

Catch ya real soon!

4 comments:

Emily said...

what an awesome summer you guys have had!!!what a fun cruise, jared would love to go on that one!! the water is so beautiful!! almost time for back to real life, when does school start??

cheraeecalono said...

Tomorrow, unfortunately. We miss you guys. Could you give your blog site again, so I can add you to my list. I'm so excited to be a part of the blog clan. It's such a great way to keep in touch.

leadatortilla said...

that water at the Grand Cayman island looks beyond FABULOUS... wish I could be there! Are your comments coming to your e-mail now?

cheraeecalono said...

Yes, they are coming to my email. When I post a comment back do you get it back? Confused.