Sunday, June 22, 2008

PURA VIDA Costa Rica-my first trip out of the country!!!

Chris and I had the wonderful chance to take a couple of our students on an ecological tour of Costa Rica. It was the best thing I've ever done besides getting married and having three wonderful children. I loved every minute of it. I loved hanging out with girls for a change with Emily and Amy Heath (Chris really enjoyed them as well). I fell in love with the country and the people, especially our guide Mario. I loved all of the wonderful plants, and animals that we saw. My two favorite places were Manuel Antonio (white sand beaches on the pacific side with white faced monkeys, crystal turqouise warm water, and beautiful blue skies) and Tortugero (a small little river town that is also known as the Venice of Costa Rica on the Caribbean side). Here's a small sample of the 600 pics we took. ENJOY!!!

Yes, this really is a three-toed sloth in Manuel Antonio. Just sleeping upside down.
One of 6 iguanas living around the city of Tortugero-we saw howler monkeys, spider monkeys, kaimans, crocodiles, toucans, and all sorts of great wildlife.












Mario (0ur tour guide)-one of the sweetest people I've ever met. A white faced monkey in Manuel Antonio.

This was a rhinoceros beetle that this young boy caught for me during our rainforest tour. I loved that he did the entire tour with bare-feet, notice that we had huge boots on. Chris made friends with everybody. The picture below is Manuel Antonio-officially my favorite place on Earth.

10 comments:

Kikibug said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I am so excited. It is funny but I learn so much more about my neighbors through blogs and I can't wait to see all of your adventures.

ps. if you are interested in that art class Pam can meet this Tues around 2:00 and possibly Thursday. Call me and let me know.

Emily said...

I'm so excited you have a blog!! Your boys are getting so big, it's crazy!! I'm way excited to keep peaking in and see those boys grow and all of your wonderful adventures!

Emily said...

hey can you give denise my email address so i can get access to their blog, i've really missed taking a peek.

Yoli said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey...what happened to our link????

leadatortilla said...

Your blog looks fabulous! That pic of the 3 toed sloth is amazing... and your summary makes me want to go! Keep it up!!

Stacy said...

Hi Cherae,
I got your blog link off Linda's and I'm checking out all of the ward blogs in an attempt to get to know some of the sisters (and not just their kids) a little better since I'm stuck in primary :)
I've been blogging since earlier this year and I love it!
These are such great pictures, it looks like this trip was very exciting. Check out our blog when you have some time at kentandcompany.blogspot.com

Kristen said...

First of all...that is the most disgusting spider I have ever seen!!! Second. where did you get your family pictures taken? It is perfect for what I am looking for.

cheraeecalono said...

Kristen,
You need to get in touch with Shane Richins. His sister took them for us last November and I truly treasure them.

Anonymous said...

Hey!
you don't know me.. but your husband does... lol, I'm his favorite student. :P:P
ANYWAYZ, i LOVE your blog! it's so awesome! I especially love that picture of emily amy and ciana... LoLz, (MR ECALONO: hint hint nudge nudge...) hahaha
so yes.. just passing to say hi, and tell u that your blog looks cool. hahhaha

-take care!!